Mike
Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My 08 auto Navara has just shown the DPF light on the dash.

My 08 auto Navara has just shown the DPF light on the dash. I've also noticed that it's very low on power. It goes high on revs but just won't change up a gear. Maybe gets to 80km/h max and even that's a struggle. Noticeable burning smell when I get out of it also.
Many thanks,
Ronan
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise -

The burning smell is most likely the gases coming back up the system from the Dpf - of course a physical check for anything other amiss is always advisable in the case of "burning smells" on a car...

I note you say that the vehicle struggles to go at 80 kmh... The normal method when the Dpf light comes on is to try and do whats called a forced regeneration of the Dpf to clear it... To do this - you have to drive the vehicle at around 70 mph on a clear road - in 4th gear ( on the auto , held in sport mode ) for a period of about 15-20 mins.. so if you can do that - if it will, its worth a try to clear it.

If you can't - if it won't drive like that for you - or you do it and it doesn't clear, if it doesn't clear - you will have to have the vehicle plugged into diagnostic equipment at a garage to read the fault codes for the Dpf system -and then progress on the basis of that test result. You haven't mentioned the mileage at all but usually its around 80k miles when they need the above - though of course there are the ones that need it a lot sooner....

But in any event - those are the options / ways forward on this now to get to the bottom of this for you -

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** Meantime - - >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, UK Nissan Car Mechanic
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi mike, thanks for the feedback.
A few questions on your reply if you will...
1) sport mode on auto.... The options I have are 'D' '3' '1 2' which of these is the one I should put it in?
2) if the DPF light turns off what are the chances it comes back on again over and over? The reason I'm asking is because the car is still under warranty (3months left) and should I raise the issue with the car dealer?
3) the mileage is 128221km if that's any further info to you...?
Many thanks,
Ronan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still waiting on follow up questions to be answered. Thanks
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Ronan -

Thank you for your reply / message.. Im sorry but for some reason I just didn't see / get your first response.. So I can only apologise there -

Ok so to go through your queries -

1- As yours is without sport mode - use gear 3.

2 - If the forced re generation , driving it as above, works, then it shouldn't come on again - not for a good few thousand miles. Though it has to be noted, that continual town driving is not good for Dpf systems - they do tend to come on ( the light ) more frequently as they dont burn off / get up to temp like they do if used on long runs etc ... But - if there is a "fault" in the system, it will come on again , just in the next few miles / weeks or so - in which case - that hasn't worked and you should take it up with the dealer for sure.
3 - Now that is interesting yes - because at that mileage - it could just be due a service on the DPF system... So I would say try that as above -- it wont do any harm at all - it can only do good... and then see how it goes... and certainly then yes, if it wont go out - or it comes on again soon - take it back to them for them to sort out properly for you.

Once again - my sincere apologies for the delay Ronan... and all the best to you ..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.