Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a Note 2010 and the connect sat nav system has died

Customer Question

I have a Note 2010 and the connect sat nav system has died completely. When I turn on power the Nissan logo very dimly flashes on the screen then nothing else happens not even audio hissing. I have had it serviced and they said the whole system needed changing for a price of £2400 excluding labour. Is there no possibility it could just be a cable contact issues and is there anything else I could check?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hi there thanks for your question.
So when you first start the car and it's booting up the Nissan logo flickers but then it goes black again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It flickers ever so dimly and then goes black again.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** all hvac controls underneath work just fine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Yes, that's certainly a concern then because usually when you have an issue with NAV system it freezes and the Nissan symbol stays on the screen and it won't change. You can usually re-initialize the system or update the software to fix it.

The fact that yours flickers and goes out is a good indicator of the problem being internal to the unit itself.

I would approach this differently then your dealer would though. I would start be disconnecting the battery and holding the terminals together for 5 minutes to reset the modules and reboot the NAV system. If it fails to work, I would then send the NAV system off to be repaired, which will cost around $500.

In the U.S. we have OEM audio/NAV places that you can mail the units to for repair, you don't have to replace the entire unit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean holding the battery terminal cables together for 5 minutes? I disconnected the 4 screws holding the Connect system in place to see if I could get it out to check cables but the whole dashboard unit loosens and not just the connect system. I tried to pry this out but couldn't move it and didn't want to force it, is there a trick to getting it out?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I was referring to the terminal cables. This drains the modules and forces them to reboot.

The whole panel will come off after the screw are removed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The plus cable on the Nissan battery is very short with no play in it and I am very nervous about stretching the minus cable over the plus battery terminal in case I short the battery so I thought I would try and disconnect the unit instead and short the power input cable but after removing the 4 screws I couldn't budge the panel(its loose but wont come out). There must be something holding it back and I can't see what it is. Any ideas?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
The panel has the 2 top screws and the 2 bottom screws. Then it has clips all around it that pop into place.
Are you talking about the trim piece or the actual sat/nav unit?
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The sat/nav unit sits in a large dashboard panel with air vents and this whole panel comes loose when unscrewing the 4 screws but although it is loose it feels like there is something holding it in place at the top of the panel(closest to the windshield). How do I get the sat/nav unit out?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
If you remove the two screws under the plastic caps in the top tray been the only thing left is the clips I was talking about