Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Hi. I'm in the UK and have recently purchased a used 2011 (registered

Hi. I'm in the UK and have recently purchased a used 2011 (registered March) Nissan Qashqai 1.6 Acenta. I have noticed that if the engine has not been started for several hours that initial revs at idle are approx 1700 RPM . This settles to approx 750 idle after driving the vehicle for approx one minute. Is 1700 normal? This is consistently happening at fairly warm outside air temperatures -f 25C (77F) being the most recent for example. 1700 seems a bit high to what I'm used to. The car has a one year warranty which I could claim on. I'm just not sure if this is a fault, or an expected engine management characteristic.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Jake :

hi there

Jake :

1700 RPMS for a cold idle is considerable high

Jake :

On initial start the engine should generally rev to about 1200-1500 RPM's and then taper down immediately to around 900 rpms while the engine warms up.

Jake :

then warm engine idle of 750 is perfect

Jake :

let me know how else I can help please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jake. If you could just clarify for me please:

You say the revs should immediately taper down to 900....Are we literally talking just a few seconds? At idle with no fan or air con, mine drops from 1750 to 1500 after 10-15 seconds approx . It takes a further 50 seconds approx to ramp down to 900 rpm.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Yes, 5-10 seconds max.
Then RPM's will be just slightly higher than normal (about 900) until the engine is fully warmed up and idling at 750rpms.
Your idle is too high.