Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

I am considering buying a Qashqai. The 1.5dCi gets very good

I am considering buying a Qashqai. The 1.5dCi gets very good reviews, but I mainly do local mileage with the occasional longer journey, possible DPF problems? Would I be better off with a petrol version?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Most people who do very short journeys its advised that you may or you could actually be better of with a petrol..The current rule it seems if you are currently doing less than 10,000miles a year say - then you are better off actually running a petrol engine..Diesels as they are nowadays are pretty economical "but" only if your doing long journeys motorways as such/commuting alot will you see this - as this constant use also to helps regenerate the DPF "diesel particulate filter" that diesels have now to burn off the excess soot/particles that the dpf captures..hence why alot of diesels which are generally used on very short journeys/trips each day tend to in some cases have problems with these since the engine isn't getting upto temp as cold diesel engine will produce more soot until it warms up or dpf isnt getting long enough or hot enough even to be able self generate which car performs itself to keep the filter clear and burn off that soot,low ash oil too has to be used to help reduce that too - although it is still possible to buy a diesel if prefered but you would require at least high speed runs each fortnight/monthly long motorway run this requires driving on a motorway/dual carrageway..clear stretch of road for upto 25-30miles in 4th gear..keeping the revs up helps bring the temperature of the dpf up to is desired temp to burn the soot off - if not they tend to need to be force regenerated or replaced at huge cost...i do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything or include anything further then please do so before you rate..