Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

I have a 1998 Nissan Almera SLX. For some months now I have

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Nissan Almera SLX. For some months now I have had a fault where it sort of kangaroo jumps when cold...need to slip clutch and rev more for it to move...once I have been driving for 15 mins, it appears to get much better. I thought fuel related so replaced fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, and it has had a new cat. Rotor arm was replaced but no effect so old one put back, 2 garages say timing and scrap the car another mechanic has told me oxi sensor...could this be so, if so where is it and would I be able to replace myself.
Thank You
Steve Geddes
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Its fairly possible this is down to a failure or heated circuit as part of the lambda/oxygen sensor.normally they should test the sensor first ideally check emissions/live data reading .the heater circuit gets the sensor upto operating temp faster since the exhuast will still be cold at cold engine operating..if the heater side of the sensor fails then this can cause a air/fuel ratio fault either too lean or too rich running hence the performance issue at colds until its seems to even out at warm when the exhaust/cat heats up..the sensor itself as far as i recall on the N15 Almera is screwed in on the exhaust manifold dead centre front of engine..they have heat defection sheild there and the centre sits in the centre..you normally need to do this on a hot engine so the thread on the sensor are hot to be able to unscrew it easier as these sensors have a habit of getting seized due to the constant change in temp - if your doing it on a cold engine if you have access to a handheld gas torch you can apply heat that way around the base of the sensor to get it hot then try and undo it..or you can lubircate it with lots of wd-40 but dont apply heat after the wd-40.lets it soak in for an hour and if need be apply heat..then try and undo the sensor..either with a ring spanner by undoing the plug connector and feed the wiring through the spanner till you reach the nut base on the sensor and undo that way/deep reach socket if you cut the wiring off the top of the sensor..since the new one will come ready to fit or use a special lambda sensor removal tool which is just long reach socket with cut out on the side to get it over the wiring and onto the nut base on the sensor..so as above give that try...I do hope this helps