Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Hi Jake, I have an 07 Nissan Navara D40 2.5 diesel truck done

Hi Jake, I have an 07 Nissan Navara D40 2.5 diesel truck done 90'000 miles. It has just started cutting out when you take your foot off the throttle driving and when it's idling. Any suggestions? Thanks, Phil.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Jake :

Phil, it ONLY has problems OFFthe throttle correct? when idling or coasting?

Jake :

let me know! thanks

Customer:

Yes I first noticed it cutting out when taking my foot off the throttle, but now it cuts out if I start it and leave it idle. I haven't had problems on acceleration. Thanks

Jake :

Thanks for the clarification.

Jake :

is the idle real lopey

Jake :

and rpms fluctuate?

Jake :

if so this could be an issue with the EGR sticking and not being able to fully close

Jake :

this will cause obvious issues at idle that will not be noticeable at cruising or accelerating

Jake :

the other possibility would be the throttle being dirty which could have caused it to lose idle adaptations that are set.

Jake :

if that's the case you have to remove the throttle in order to clean it, then you have to re-initiate idle volume learning with a scan tool

Jake :

if you need anything else let me know please.

Jake :

thanks

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The problems I described were on Saturday, I didn't do anything with it yesterday but have just started it, it idled for 5 mins ok so I took it for a run for 10 mins then let it idle again and it seems fine. One thing Saturday was the outside temperature was much colder if that could cause any difference or is it an intermittent fault?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Yea, intermittent faults can be tricky since the only time you can really diagnose them properly is when the fault is occurring.
Considering the ambient temperature was significantly lower when this happened last time may indicate a temperature related issue, but you will need another really cold day to confirm that possibility. I can say in extreme cold climates I have seen the fuel filters freeze if there is any moisture in them. This causes weird starting and idling issues also, but usually you can't rev either until the engine warms up.
So once you have the issue again then we would have to consider the circumstances upon which they re-occurred and move forward.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Someone suggested the suction control valve on the fuel pump. Could that cause this fault?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

I do see ALOT of SCV problems on these trucks.

In most cases though they will effect the car while driving as well though and even cause stalling.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do find I have to be gentle on the clutch starting off or it will stall but assumed that was just the clutch being sharp! Are they prone to that or could that be related to the fault?

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
If by gentle you mean, you have to accelerate lightly then that "could" be related. Since any effect on fuel trims at idle (EGR, SCV, etc) could cause issues when you accelerate to quickly.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.