Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Hi I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with a yd25ddti engine.

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with a yd25ddti engine. A new upgrade quality timing chain kit has been fitted with new guides and tentioners +sprockets with duplex chains top and bottom all oil ways were blown through but there is a noise at 25oo revs from the top timing chain area, either side of this there is no problem engine runs quietly. we may try retro fit of top tensioner otherwise we have run out of ideas. I should add that this work is being carried out by a small garage who are very professional and have retro fitted nissan navarras with the same engine without problem. Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
John
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Jake : Are you saying it only happens at exactly 2500 RPM's? Not above or below that?
JACUSTOMER-rtofncb3- :

yes

Jake : Thanks, ***** ***** that the noise would go away over 2500 rpms
Jake : generally chain noise would start at a certain rom and continue
JACUSTOMER-rtofncb3- :

Hi Jake Have you any idea what the cause is? chain sprocket mismatch etc we are stumped

Jake : I'm actually a little stumped myself as you say it's ONLY at a certain RPM.
Jake : i was fog to say if it was over a certain RPM I have seen rare cases where a rear cover gasket causes oil pressure to drop
Jake : and it causes you to lose proper chain tension
Jake : but since yours in an exact rpm it's almost like its a manufacturing defect in one of your kit components
Jake : did you notice any guide wear when you pulled the cover back off ?
JACUSTOMER-rtofncb3- :

Hi Jake all the parts are brand new and on stripping the top cover after the noise was noticed after the upgrade, no wear was seen , and nothing out of the ordinary was seen.We may try the old tensioner as we know that worked and use your idea to check for loss of oil pressure, but we cant understand why it appears at these precise revs, as you say it may be a fault with the components , causing a viberation etc, at those particular revs, if you have any more ideas let us know.

JACUSTOMER-rtofncb3- :

regards

JACUSTOMER-rtofncb3- :

john

Jake : John, since I am not there to hear the exact noise and how loud it is, I'll be honest this is a tricky one because it's so uncommon.
Jake : The only other thing I can honestly say from experience
Jake : is that I have see where worn rod bearings can cause the engine to make a rattle/knock sound at certain RPMS
Jake : BUT if you didn't have the noise prior to the new timing kit then that would also seem unlikely
Jake : Sorry I don't have more for you on this one John, let me know how else I can help
Jake : thanks
JACUSTOMER-rtofncb3- :

Jake thanks for the advice .

JACUSTOMER-rtofncb3- :

John

Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jake Yes I Rated you OK which no reflection on you but on the system as in this case the problem is so vague that I dont think you can give a fare assessment unless you are actually on the vehicle .

best regards ***** ***** new year

John

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
John, I appreciate your understanding.If you got the problemresolved, do let me know what you all eventuallyfound as the culprit in case I see this problem in the future.Regards, Jake.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.