Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

,i have a 350z engine which has had a timing chain tensioner

Hi,i have a 350z engine which has had a timing chain tensioner failure,any ideas what might of caused it. Thanks Mark
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Jake :

Hey Mark, which tensioner is it? the primary tensioner or one of the secondary tensioners?

Jake :

also, how many miles on the engine.

Jake :

thanks

Customer:

Hi Jake,thanks for your prompt reply.Its the primary tensioner and for the milage,the engine is in my off road buggie so i can't really say

Customer:

HiJake,thanks for your prompt reply.Its the primary tensioner,and the engine is in my off road buggie so i can't really say

Jake :

Thanks Mark

Jake :

were you getting rattle in the timing chain area?

Jake :

are you still with me Mark?

Jake :

or did I lose you?

Customer:

yes,its marked the inside of the case

Jake :

Mark these primary tensioners are controlled by oil pressure. Generally when they fail it's because they are bleeding pressure off internally and cannot put sufficient tension on the main chain guide.

Jake :

when this happens it usually results in a rattle because the guide rattles against the tensioner pintle because of the lack of pressure.

Jake :

when we see a marked up timing case it's usually from the tensioner guide itself breaking at the top of the guide and if it doesn't fall to the bottom it gets trapped between the tensioner pintle and timing cover

Jake :

the guide failures were due to issues in the guides and guide clips themselves. the part was later revised.

Jake :

the primary tensioners themselves generally either leak internally or have sludge build up

Jake :

let me know if you need anything else

Jake :

if not be sure to leave a kind rating

Jake :

thanks

Customer:

Thanks for that Jake.We've had good oil pressure and we felt it was the ratchet which keeps the pin out which failed,what do you think?

Jake :

the little ratchet or lever your talking about can be an issue if it manages to move positions because it will bleed out the tensioner

Jake :

let me know if you need anything else please.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.