Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

terrano w reg 2000 loosing power on hills engine running ok

Customer Question

terrano w reg 2000 loosing power on hills engine running ok but cant maintain any power it stopped last night at bottom of hill where i have left it. just been and got it now running ok came up hill as normal so looks like it happens when hot it did it a few days ago and has run ok since, till yesterday both occasions i had traveled about 5 miles and suddenly lost power on a hill

Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Shantal

no I have not found cause of problem though car is running ok at the moment so I would like an answer if possible incase it reaccures

Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hey there, sorry for your delay waiting on Nissan technician.My name is ***** ***** I will work on this with you if your still needing assistance.Realistically on these trucks there are multiple reasons in which the engine could feel a loss of power or stall unexpectedly. Without a service engine light or any OBVIOUS indicators I can give you the more common issues we see on these engines causing these exact symptoms.The most common loss of power and stalling issues on these trucks is a faulty SCV, this is a valvelocated on the HP pump that controls fuel volume. It's calibrated to work off APP, TPS, CPS signal to adjust accordingly the fuel volume to maintain adequate pressures at the pump. We see this fail more that any other single component on these trucks probably. The part alone is a bit pricey at around $300. Granted lots of dealers will try to get customers to replace the entire pump which is not necessary in MOST cases.While there are other causes on occasion this is by far the most common. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jake

Thanks for your reply obviously it is difficult to diagnose. at the moment it is running fine, if the fault recurs is there any checks i can make to prove valve faulty or is it a case of change it and see

Norman

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Norman, unless you have a scan tool that can view live data or calibrate SCV there are not any steps you can do on your own for this one.
When watching SCV operation your looking at the duty cycle % on you scan tool to get an idea of it's current operation. Think of the SCV like a fuel pressure regulator by controlling the fuel supply at the high pressure line. It works like a plunger so you could manually test it's operation, but you couldn't see how its operating when your having problems. Likely its sticking open at a high duty and blocking fuel volume at the line.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jake

my terrano has started doing it again i suspect you diagnosis is correct i took it to garage the tester said low pressure turbo they changed a pipe from intercooler but still the same it seems to occur if you are late changing down gear on a hill or if i come out of a corner in to high a gear if i turn engine off and restart it runs fine.any new ideas or do you think original diagnosis is likely to be correct

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Yes probably so, the pipe they changed might have been from a boost leak that was detected. As long as your still building boost pressure and teh symptoms remain then I think our first guess is likely here.