Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Jake, I have a 2008 Diesel pathfinder auto. when air temp

Customer Question

Jake, I have a 2008 Diesel pathfinder auto. when air temp is cold (single figure / frosty mornings, the engine starts fine but when driving off produces an irritating rattle on light throttle, if you back off the noise goes, likewise if you accelerate harder the noise goes? any help would be very welcome. thanks, Martin.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Jake :

there

Jake :

Can you explain the rattle a little ?

Jake :

the location you think the rattle is coming from

Jake :

and the "type" of rattle would be helpful.

Jake :

(does it sound metallic, like a tin can) or maybe like a piece of plastic rattling in a cup or what?

Jake :

let me know and I will give you a good possibility of what is likely causing it.

Jake :

thanks

Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think its from the engine, its a metallic rattle (A bit like a tappet). If you drive the car, stop and turn engine off while (like go into the shops) come back, start engine it runs fine, its just on initial COLD start

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Thanks .

In very COLD temps it's not uncommon engines to be louder in general. If the noise is not just a more audible version of regular engine noise then you could in fact be hearing a rattle coming from a heat shield or a timing chain tensioner.

The easiest thing to do would be to have someoneone help you pinpoint the exact location by lightly reving the engine in neutral on a cold morning. If the noise is immediate before driving anywhere and remedies itself then it could be tensioner related.

Now if the noise is more like you say where it comes on during light acceleration, then it's much more likely to be something like a heat shield which is much more susceptible to vibrations at lower loads.

Let me know how else i can help please.