Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

nissan patrol not driven few months and it ls down on

nissan patrol not driven for a few months and it ls down on power
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't close my question,I need an answer and I paid 15 euros for it!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am dissatisfied with the length of time it is taking to get an answer to my question. I Was led to believe that experts were available to answer my question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why is the answer taking so long?
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my nissan patrol has not been used for a while and is down on power now.i changed the fuel filter but to no avail.Ihave been sending you this questinn for the past few days now and you have not made any attempt to give me any answer.please reply.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
hey there Nissan Expert here.Can you elaborate for me on your "power loss"Is the only symptom your experiencing a loss of power? or are there other issues happening like erratic idling, smoking, ect?also let me know if this is the turbo diesel model. thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only symptom is a lack of power,about 60 per cent I would guess.it starts and idles normally!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only symptom is a lack of power,about 60 per cent I would guess.it starts and idles normally!It is a 3.0 turbo diesel model.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** a few different things that can cause a lack of power. With no other symptoms you may want to check a few basic things like the airbox sine the vehicle has not been driven in awhile. I have seen a few times where people leave there cars for months unused and rodents build a nest in the air box and restrict the airflow with all the leaves and stuff they drag in there. Another thing is the wastegate for the turbo, if your unable to build build because the wastegate is opening it will cause a dramatic loss in power. Let me know what other questions you have so I can help please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the airbox is clear and the wastegate on the turbo is ok

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you ever get an smoke when this happens?

Does the service engine light come on at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no smoke except when starting from cold.no service light at all.just low power and moRe noticable when climbing hills

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for th eprompt response.

Ideally here when you have a lack of power and no trouble codes it's generally caused by one of the previously mentioned items (fuel filter/air leak/wastegate opening/boost leak.)

The only other common failure that doesn't generally leave a trouble code is the MAF sensor, but it generally causes a bit more obvious symptoms then you describe and they generally get worse the higher the RPM's.

All that aside something is still obviously going on by the computer is just not detecting the fault and since there is no black smoke, i think we can rule out the EGR failure as well since it usually causes a bit of smoke on acceleration. With out actually being ac the vehicle and looking at the fuel maps and intake readings its hard to say for sure whats going on here, but it sounds alot like a fuel pressure issue. That could be from the control valve on the side of the pump or the in the tank pump itself.

Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.