Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Nissan mistral/terrano M reg auto reverse only engages when

Customer Question

Nissan mistral/terrano M reg auto reverse only engages when speed of engine has been increased and then moves slowly
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like to wait for the experts answer
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
hey there, sorry for the delay. Let me see if I understand your question correctly. You have a terrano with an automatic gearbox, but when shifted into reverse gear it barely moves under throttle? is that what's happening?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I put it into reverse it does not move until you increase the engine speed to 3000 revs or more and then it will start to move slowly
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

This indicates an problem with the reverse clutch in the gearbox. Also known as high clutch to some.

Chances are if you inspect the fluid you will notice it is dark in color and may even smell burnt. Thats clutch material in the fluid.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do other then rebuild or replace the gearbox as the case will need to be seperated and the dis-assembled to replace the reverse clutch.