Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My 2008 navara outlaw has a droning noise very noticeable at

Customer Question

My 2008 navara outlaw has a droning noise very noticeable at 70 mph,I replaced back tyres
Had tracking done then new front tyres, all oil levels have been checked by a mechanic and ok
Clutch just started to slip today, worried about spending on new clutch without knowing about the other problem.
The mileage is 65k
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Hey there, sorry for the delay.

Is your Navarra 2wd or 4wd?

Do you get any vibration at all? or is it just a droning noise at high speeds?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not much vibration
The droning noise is there even at lower speeds but very noticeable between 70 to 80 mph
Above 80 not so bad and 60 to 70 barely noticeable
Hope this helps
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the clarification.

It's highly likely then that the noise could be coming from the prop shaft, do you have 2wd or 4wd?

The reason I ask is because the 4wd models have front and rear shafts that spin all the time and the fronts are known to fail and cause noise more so then the rears, of course a 2wd will only have the rear.

Look for play at the u-joints for me and any black marks that look like grease around them.

let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All joints are clean noise getting worse
Coming from front and now brake shudder
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
If the noise is continuing to get worse and your starting to get a shudder on braking then its likely that one of the front wheel bearings is bad. When they get real bad they can cause a vibration as well.