Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2009 Nissan X trail. first time since

I have a 2009 Nissan X trail. For the first time since I bought it I had to use four wheel drive lock and reverse round a corner. When I then pulled forward there was a loud metallic clunk which did not sound good. I have checked the manual and there is nothing in it about going backwards in four wheel drive so I presume its the cornering that caused an issue. I tried this again at low speed and the same happened.
Can you tell me if there is anything wrong or is this normal?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Jake :

Richard, 4wd locker is meant for going straight and not making any type of sharp turns. If your going to be making a turn can use 4wd but should not be in lock which is all 4 wheels at the same time. This causes the drivetrain to bind and skip through the turn.

Jake :

You should be ok if you only did it a couple times, but keep that in mind for the future please so you don't cause damage.

Jake :

let me know if you need anything else.

Customer:

hI

Jake :

hey

Customer:

Hi....thank you for your reply and I understand what you are saying. The noise though happened when I then moved forward not while I was going backwards? I presume if some harm had been done the 4X4 light would come on?

Jake :

Should not matter which direction your going, will make noise if your turning in LOCK

Jake :

so avoid turning to sharp in LOCK, regular 4wd would be fine

Jake :

as long as there is no excessive noise when driving normally now and no lights on then I would not be concerned at all

Customer:

Jake....Thank you. I appreciate your time. I love my car and thought I had broken it. Richard.

Jake :

Your welcome Richard, I think all will be ok.

Jake :

if you run into future problems though be sure to come back and let me know.