Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My daughter has an petrol automatic Almera Tino. This morning

My daughter has an petrol automatic Almera Tino. This morning when she got to work she said there was smoke coming from the engine. I have checked the engine bay and there seems to have been a leak of an orange coloured fluid. I checked both dipsticks (and all the fluid reservoirs). Engine oil is normal but the dipstick for the automatic transmission fluid is empty. I have three questions: What is the most likely cause of the leak? How do I refill the fluid?- at the moment the only way I can see is via the dipstick. What is the correct specification of transmission fluid?
Many thanks, Kevin.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Jake :

Kevin, did you check the transmission fluid while the engine was running?

Jake :

it needs to be checked in park with the engine running for starters.

Jake :

if the engine is off, it will read low

Jake :

secondly, if the fluid looks red or brownish red than it's most likely transmission fluid and the most common place for it to leak at would be from the cooler hose that runs from the transmission to the bottom of the radiator.

Customer:

Checked it with the engine off initially, then with it running.

Customer:

The fluid ha gathered below the radiator so that all makes sense.

Jake :

so what other questions do you have?

Customer:

How do I replace the lost fluid?

Jake :

through the dipstick tube using a funnel

Jake :

you need to fix the leak though if its at the hose before doing anything

Customer:

Ok, that was what I originally thought. Do you know what spec of fluid this model requires and how much from empty?

Jake :

you can use flexible fuel hose or heater hose in the meantime until you can get to the dealer for the actual molded hose

Jake :

I assume you have the auto transmission and not the CVT from the color of the fluid

Jake :

is that correct?

Customer:

Yes it is a 2.0 petrol auto.

Jake :

you really need to use Nissan fluid

Jake :

but if you r in a pinch you can use an ATF dexron III fluid that has Nissan listed on the bottle

Customer:

How much do I need to refill from empty?

Jake :

I doubt its "empty" if the leak is at the cooler line.

Jake :

unless there is just a ton of fluid all over the place

Jake :

I would add 3/4 a quart a time and check it

Jake :

because once you get to the low cold mark on the dipstick

Jake :

its less than a quart to the hot full line

Jake :

so its important to keep checking so you don't overfill it

Jake :

because its easy to do

Customer:

Ok will do that - thanks for your help.

Jake :

Your welcome

Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.