indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician
29331485

, How do I set up the camshaft timing on a 2003 Nissan Primera

How do I set up the camshaft timing on a 2003 Nissan Primera 2.2diesel,its the Nissan engine with timing chain.
Was replacing the vacuum pump and trying to loosen the pully bolt caused the timing to jump
Category: Nissan
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Below is a diagram on how to set up the timing chain , be very carefull you don't turn this engine anticlockwise otherwise you will jump teeth .

You also will have to get the engine on TDC as best you can then remove both chains so you can line up the marked links to sprocket marks .

graphic

You but the chain on with the painted marks to sprocket marks making sure all slack is on the tensioner side .as said don't turn anticlockwise..

Please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund, if you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know.

Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there any way to set it up without taking off the bottom crankshaft pulley and bottom timing cover?

Seems like a lot of unnecessary stripping,I have the pot cover off ok.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.

Better off removing to make sure you are 100% on mark, as this is a interferance engine, you being off time could cause you piston valve contact, a very expensive repair .

So invest in the time and save in the long run .

Rgds Greg