Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

Is my 2007 Nissan Xtrail safe to drive if I have been told

Customer Question

Is my 2007 Nissan Xtrail safe to drive if I have been told that 1 0f the pistons has failed, also how much is it likely to be to get repaired
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

If a piston has failed then the engine wouldnt be running or rather you would only be running on 3 cylinders.depending on what type of failure they say has occurred.so in regards ***** ***** it..it wouldnt generally be safe to drive in that condition - as far as cost goes..its difficult to say based on the fact that all garages differ hourly rates. but it would involve complete engine strip down to get the piston out and replaced and what ever damage the piston has caused within the cylinder etc..then you could be looking at another engine and this could run into the 4 figures,not including fitting..unless you can find the same secondhand engine/short block to transfer the ancillaries over from the old engine to the replacement one to bring the costing down..