Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

What can I do my Nissan almera Tino 1.8 has prblems starti

What can I do my Nissan almera Tino 1.8 has prblems starting
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

hi there, what happens when you try to start it?

Does it click? does it crank but not start? or doe sit do nothing at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sometimes nothing hapens, when \I tray again eventually it cranks but does not start. If i turn the steerring wheel like when you are disengaing the stering lock an.start it eventually it will start . (Steering lock not working) this has been happening for a while. Also its as if the electronic key lock has gone into hyjack mode and I cant start the car. Normally I would be able to srt it after about 5-6 tries but now its not even cranking unless I open the engine take out the fuse for the starter and start the car

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I forgot to add I put the fuse back in then start the car.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for clarifying, so you have the electric key with push start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I have an electronic key to open the doors of the car and a normal key to start the car.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Perfect, thanks.do you get the key light when that happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

once the engine is running the key light remains on

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Ahh, ok so we obviously have a key recognition issue. If you take the key away from the vehicle will the electronic steering lock work?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
also do you have a separate key?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no when I remove the key the steering lock does not work and we lost the spare key so at the moment we only have one key

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for sticking with me throughout all my questions. The main reason I need so much clarification is because although the starting and NATS systems are pretty much the same from the U.S as they are in other countries there are slight differences in the years that certain features were released and minor functional differences in relation to what you can and can't do with said systems. The electronic steering locks are something Nissan only used for about 6 years because of this various issues we see from them, lots of which leave people stranded with a no-start situation like your experiencing. The NATS system here you need a steering lock release, a key recognition, a park/neutral signal, and current circuit operation between the signals. When you have a steering lock failure the BCM (body control module, known as central locking unit or immobilizer in some countries) will NOT initiate the starter relay request needed so you cannot start the car. The fact that the key light remains on afterwards is another indication that is likely as well. We see the key light (yellow and red versions) for 2 reasons. Either a steering lock malfunction or a key recognition issue. Unfortunately BOTH are not easily bypassed. if the key Reg is lost or not recognized a new one is registered and a steering lock module must be replaced with tamper proof bolts for repair. Since you have the manual key and not push button start we can rule out any battery issues with the key because it's directly placed into the ignition cylinder with the NATS antenna amp attached to read key registration and the car WOULD NOT START if the key was not recognized because injector pulse would be cut. So at this point is really looks like the electronic steering lock is the likely culprit.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.