Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Robert. I have an 06 Navara and have been clearing out

Customer Question

Hi Robert. I have an 06 Navara and have been clearing out the garden last couple of days. I rammed in as much branches, leaves, etc. as I could manage and forced the tailgate up. Since then, the tailgate has been stuck and I wanted to know if there was something i could do before taking to garage?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, sorry for the delay. Sounds to me like something might have gotten jambed in the tailgate latch. This is actually pretty common in SUV rear hatches when people overload them. What likely happened is some of the brush got lodged in the latch when closing and it's so tight the latch cannot release. What you have to do is have a helper forcefully push in on the tailgate over and over while you try to operate the handle release. It may take a minute but should work loose the latch after a bit.