Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 03 almera the tekna one. I put petrol in one morning

Customer Question

I have a 03 almera the tekna one. I put petrol in one morning and it had no power i could get to 120km but it took a lot longer than usual. Later that day the check engine light came on. I got a diagnostic. Done twicw and the cat was first then lamda cable got both replaced and stil no luck. It could drive fine for a hour or so and then cugs and then no power again. I want to keep the car beacuse it was from a inheritance but haven't. Got major money to fix please help
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
Do you get any smoke? or just power loss?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just power loss and sometimes wen i start her up she makes i stalling. Sound

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** that you have a loss of power accompanied by what seemed to previously have been a catalyst and lambda code, tells us that the fuel trims are off. They were likely causing the other fault codes as well which led to the unnecessary repairs.

Most of the time when we see fuel trim issues on these cars its from either the mass air flow meter or from the fuel pump suction valve.

To monitor fuel trims and check MAF operation you simply need to look at live data and monitor the fuel corrections. You can then depending on the readings unplug the MAF and determine from fail safe if an air leak is present or just the MAF is operating poorly.

The suction valve has a duty cylce you can watch as you increase RPM's, erratic duty cycles at idle is another indication of a fauly valve.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry i not really sure what that means. What part in your opinion should i get fixed? Would fixing this be a big job

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Neither of these Jobs are really big jobs, but the Mass air sensor is a bit pricey, so you want to check fuel trims to diagnose the sensor before you replace it.

I deally you would be looking at paying about 1 hour labor to diagnose it at a garage. Then depending on whcih one was at fault you expect to pay another 2-5 hundred for the repairs.