Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

My Nissan Note automatic got stuck in 'park' yesterday.

Customer Question

Hi my Nissan Note automatic got stuck in 'park' yesterday. The breakdown service took the central console apart and found it was the plastic 'switch' (solenoid?) which wasnt releasing the stick so I was able to press down with my finger on the switch to release the stick into drive etc. with the console off to get it home. I took it to the garage today and they say that in order to replace the plastic switch I have to replace the entire console unit - £600-£700 !!. Is there any other way of making the switch release that you know. Its an awful lot of money on an '08' plate car
Thanks in advance for any advice
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.
First off make sure the brake lamps work, because the brake switch signal releases the shift lock solenoid your questioning. The only other option would be to remove the solenoid or use a ziptie to block the mechanism from latching. The U.S. models have a shift lock release right above the shifter plate you press a small screwdriver straight down into to bypass it, not sure the UK models have that option.