Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

A couple of years ago we had a problem with our nissan x

Hi a couple of years ago we had a problem with our nissan x trail 2.2 losing power. I bought new suction control valves from the Internet (dense ones) had them fitted. They worked but there was always a slight hesitation when you accelerate. Now the problem has returned. The car is hesitating badly and sometimes going into limp mode.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Alot of times when you have a hesitation after installing an SCV its because it was not calibrated correctly. We use a scan tool to calibrate them once we install them. Doesn't take long it's maybe a 15 minute ordeal. What is the problem your having now other than the hesitation? you have a loss of power again? any codes at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the hesitation has become longer and now much more erratic. It also goes into limp mode quite often and we have to turn off the ignition for 5 seconds so that it comes out of limp mode. Haven't tried reading coded yet because last time this was no use due to it being an intermittent fault. How do you calibrate the valves?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I ask for the code because if it was something like a P0089 then that would be consistent with what we cause limp mode.The fix for that would be to have the dealer calibrate the pump to correct the issue which will run about L80. If the pump won;t accept the calibration then the suction valve may be bad, which can be verified by duty cycle data.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was down to not being calibrated when the valves were installed would it have got worse over time?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
it's very possible. i have seen cars with the original valves just lose calibration for unknown reasons and require the pump to be programmed.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
which is why I asked for the code, because that could likely tell us alot in this scenario.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi jake sorry for the delay. Yesterday I took the suction control valves out and cleaned them. Since then the car has been a lot better (although problem is worstening). This tells me that the problem is the scv's. Can I ask is it the valves that need calibrating or the fuel pump. I need to know what to ask the nissan dealer to do.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you may be on to something. Yes the pump is calibrated as it controls the valves.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.