Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Nissan qashqai 2013. The red engine light has come

Customer Question

I have a Nissan qashqai 2013.
The red engine light has come on and the vehicle lost speed. I pulled over looked under the bonet and a 2" hose had come off a connect to the right of the engine. Once this was put back on I tried to carry on my journey. I could only achieve 60mph. After 30mins the car lost all speed again. I checked the connection and this was fine. I started the car but the car stalled when trying to pull away.
Any ideas???
I am stuck in France trying to get home.
Ashley
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello for it to blow a hose off its may be over boosting ( if its a turbo) is teh teh petrol or diesel engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a diesel
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello OK in that case I'd suggest to also check theends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issuesAlso have a feel around with your bare hands with the engine running to see if you can feel any escaping gas under your touch. Another method is to use a soap and water solution sprayed onto any suspect areas - if there's a leak it'll bubble up with the engine running Also check that the vacuum hose running to the dump /turbo bypass valve is intact with no leaks as if the dump valve is opening prematurely you'll be losing all your boost If this is OK then remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all -but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Ashley

do you still need help?