indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician
29331485

Greg, I recently experienced a lack and total loss of power

Customer Question

Greg, I recently experienced a lack and total loss of power 58 plate 2.5 Navara), injectors were replaced as they were shot, fuel contamination was suspected-fuel was drained and system checked but was ok. I can drive the vehicle but there is hardly any power below 2500rpm and theres loads of black smoke can you help?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi .
With out doing any diagnostic checks like live data reading or checking for malfunction codes then the most common issue for you having loss of power and not getting over 2500rpm i would have the MAF checked .
A bad MAF will cause a low power with black exhaust smoke ..
If you have access to a good scan tool or know a good shop with one have them check/test the MAF and check for other possible malfunction codes ..
Please rate my help a good to excellent if you are satisfied .
If not ready to rate don't rate poor or bad service as we can continue to work on this issue or I can opt out and recommend another expert .
After accepting there is no extra charge for further assistance.
If I don't reply soon I will as quickly as I can when i get back on line.
Kind regards Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Greg, I'll get it checked and get back to youAndrew
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Sound good Andrew ,
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg, I forgot to mention earlier that the tow truck guy and my garage had the Navara plugged into their diagnostic boxes and no fault codes came up so hoping that its a simple fix
Andrew
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Then may just be the MAF have this checked .
If you are burning black smoke this is an indication od getting too much fuel or to little Air ,
Air intake blockage ,sucked in plastic bag at the intake of the air filter ,blocked air filter .
Other possible issue that can cause a problem like yours .
Cam/crank sensor malfunction .
As said MAF sensors .
Bad fuel ,this you have replaced.
Injectors ,this you have reconditioned/replaced .
Fuel injection pump .TPS, fuel pressure regulator .
All these can be monitored with live data on a good scan tool .
In some cases a sensor could be out of adjustment but still inside its set values which will not trip a malfunction code, but can be seen by a good tech .
Kindest regards Greg
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience: Import technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg I've cleaned the MAF with contact cleaner the problem is still there, once I get over 2000-2500rpm the power kicks in, this is when the black smoke occurs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg, there is also a clicking sound when I up the revs
Andrew
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew .
Can you get the use of a scan tool with live data .
Like to see the reading of the MAF at idle and at 2500rpm.
Some have had this problem and gone ahead and blanked off the EGR
with a EGR blanking plate .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGR-Blanking-Plate-Nissan-Navara-D40-SERIES-2-YD25-Euro3-/111730199696?hash=item1a03a38c90&vxp=mtr.
This you can make yourself and fit .
Check also with a good diesel tuner or the dealers if they can remap the system, this normally helps .
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg, I'll keep using you as it's useful, I may contact the local Nissan dealer too, I may get the EGR blank too, I a have just noticed a large soot build up around the area where the EGR blank goes this may point to something
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrew .
Most sure will cause problems you need to get this soot build up removed, this will cause the problem you have been having .
If the EGR is not free to breath you will have this issue .good find Andrew .
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg
Thanks, ***** ***** something I can do myself?
Andrew
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi .
Yes you could remove the EGR and have it cleaned out by soaking it in brake fluid DOT3.
When done start the engine and hold at 1500 rpm will blow a lot of grayish smoke for a few minutes.
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg I removed the manifold pipe to the EGR, really sooty, blanking plate off ebay should be with me tomorrow, will let you know how it goes, I do have a photo but couldn't attach it
Andy
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andy .
No problem but please let me know how this goes .
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg
Good news, blanking off the EGR has worked a treat, will still need to remove the valve at some stage and clean it up but for now the engines running great.
Thanks for the help.
Andy
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andy
Great news and thank you for getting back to me .
Happy motoring .
Rgds Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg
I have started hearing noises from underneath the passenger cabin around the drive shaft area, only happens when down shifting or slowing down, pretty vague I know but any idea what it might be?