Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Got 02 tino when accelerating it runs then engine dieds down

Customer Question

got 02 tino when accelerating it runs then engine dieds down but dosent stall then picks up for a while then does it all over again iv had a new petrol pump put on but no change
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
This could be anairleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by theECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allowthe engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.As its amechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimeshear a 'hissing' noise with the enginerunning. Check the hoseclips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missingparts. The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas/propane around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found yourleak.Now you mightthink that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however theflash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or sparkto set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.Work your waythrough each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use aslightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can oflighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas intoeach area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements. It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter orfaulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs ofcorrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter andrun the engine without it.if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it isfaultyAir leaks are verytemperature dependent as gaps can open or close up as things expand with heat,so the weather and engine temperature can effect them. This leads them tobe quite intermittent in the case of mild leaks its also worthcleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposedsensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that thecleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue On no accounttouch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile