Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

I have just taken a Qashqai on Contract. 1.2 Petrol engine.

Customer Question

I have just taken a Qashqai on Contract. 1.2 Petrol engine. According to sales literature it should do 40-45mpg easily. Mine barely reaches 35 even with countryside driving. Any ideas
Barry Townsend
***@******.***
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Can you reconfirm the year of the car and current mileage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2015, 500 miles only
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
Ok..Yes that isnt at all uncommon to be honest on the majority of new cars these days - 500miles on the clock is still pretty much the engines running in faze and will be upto between 5,000-10,000miles..because the way engines are manufactured nowadays and the tight tolerances on internal bearing/clearances are so fine..the engine will be whats termed as "tight" and this in fact does tend to effect MPG,and the dealer should actually inform you of that..during which when the engines finally run in those tolarences loosen up/clearnaces on bearings settle in and thus the engines basically run in and you should see a marked improvement with fuel consumption/mpg or pretty much close or slightly beyond whats termed in the owners guide.of course depends on the driver/use/traffic situations..But the manufaturer can state in the book it should be this mpg or this mpg whether it be city or long distance but these are all done on test lab enviroment and not generally on real day to day life platform...they can only state what that engine should achieve....But that type of problem is certainly not uncommon on pretty much all new engines,brand new vehicles ..like i say the engines still in run in faze..once its settled or run in..then you will certainly see a marked improvement..so not really a problem to be too concerned about...I do hope this helps