Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 1.2l 2003 Mk3 Nissan Micra on which I have just changed

I have a 1.2l 2003 Mk3 Nissan Micra on which I have just changed the timing chain. Engine was taken out of the car to do this task and was out for about a month. I recharged the battery before refitting to the car. When everything was reconnected (double checked) the engine turned over well but it failed to start like there is no spark (fuel pressure is present). I suspect the immobiliser is preventing it to start. I have tried various reset techniques such as listed on your site and in the handbook but no joy. The NATS light keeps flashing when battery is connected and no key inserted whether the car is locked or unlocked. Do I have to try and get the car to a Nissan dealer to reset or are there other options?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shantal,
I haven't yet found an answer to my problem with the Micra and would appreciate some assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With respect to the immobilizer the red NATS light does go out when the ignition is switched on for a few seconds. The engine turns over but no sign of attempt to fire. Could the inlet cam be out of sync giving the sensor a slightly false position and therefore no go. Note all codes have been cleared and not reappeared after cranking the engine over several (lengthy) times. Battery voltage after charging is over 13V (13.6V) and after several attempts at starting remains above 12.6V.
Thank you for getting back to me and providing more information. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please close this question. I have had to make alternate arrangements.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
I apologize that you have yet to recieve a reply. I am a nissan tech and just seen your question. The immobiliser light flashing is completely normal, as long as it goes out when the key is turned to ON position then you are ok. If the immobiliser light goes solid with key ON, then you have a registration issue with the key and the immobiliser cuts injector pulse, it will not cut spark though. For what it's worth, no spark conditions almost always seem to be one of two things on these cars, either a cam sensor failure or the timing being off. Since you already made arrangements, you can have the shop watch intake timing while cranking and see if its jumping all over the place, if so then the chain is probably off in alignment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jake, many thanks. I had come to the same conclusion after talking to a company that specialises in immobiliser repair/resetting. The camshaft sensor is giving all the right readings using a multimeter. And has been changed anyway. The engine will, unfortunately, have to come out again and get the alignment reset.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
One thing to be careful of is starting a newly timed engine. PUll the fuel pump fuse and crank then engine some before the first start. This allows the timing chain tensioners to prime and prevents it from jumping time on you.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jake's advice was spot on. Timing chain kit has since been correctly fitted and the engine now runs sweetly. Very many thanks.