Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a nissan micra profile 998cc year 2000. I have

Hello... I have a nissan micra profile 998cc year 2000. I have had a problem of it not strating. It turns over (battery good) and good spark. I had it to a garage and they have fitted a new relay AND a new fuel pump...!! After a week running around successfully. It will now not start again... Help?????
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Are the symptoms the same this time around? cranking normally, but no fuel in the cylinders?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the symptoms are the same. I have been using the car for a week and it has started each time. Suddenly not starting again.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
will the engine start on starting fluid? can you hear the pump prime when turning key to ON position?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean about engine start on starting fluid?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
i was curious if you tried starting fluid and verified it was a fuel issue?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
secondly when you turn the key to the ON position, does the security light come on and stay on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the security light does not come on and stay on. Do you think it is an electrical fault?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
It very well could be, but more testing is needed to verify. We need to know if the pump is giving adequate fuel pressure and IF it is then we need to listen for injector pulse while cranking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jake... I am back. The car has been back to the garage which charged me over £250 for a new fuel pump and relay.....!!
They now think that it is flooding when it starts so have told me to take out the fuel pump fuse then start the engine a few times then put the fuel pump fuse back in place and it should start... Hey ho.. I am a female in my 60s who now has a torch and pinch nosed pliers to do this operation if the car won't start when I am out and about anywhere...!! Does this expanation seem likely to you and if so, is it possible to obtain a more permanent solution.??
Patricia
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
If the engine was flooding, all you would need to do is press the gas pedal down 3/4 the way when starting. This opens the throttle plate and lets more air in the motor. Sounds like your garage is trying to push their problem away instead of fix it. Not many things will cause flooding except for poor spark, a stuck injector, or no airflow on start up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I always be starting the car with the gas pedal down 3/4 the way or doing that if it doesn't start? It seems to have a good spark so how would I know if it was a stuck injector or no airflow?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
No not always, that procedure is used to clear a FLOODING condition. for poor airflow condition you need to check the air filter, also opening the throttle plate by pressing the pedal would rule that out like I already mentioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. What is my way ahead now?? Just wait for it to happen again and try 3/4 pedal pressing. If this doesn't work what other suggestions or alternatives are there?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Yes, start there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.....Can I keep this question/answer open for any length of time as I do not know if and when it might happen again?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Follow up on the same question is always free. Even after leaving a rating. Just don't wait too long to reply to it, like over 2 weeks or the site might close it.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.