Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

Why is my thermostat sign coming on in red in my Nissan micra

Why is my thermostat sign coming on in red in my Nissan micra and also noticed the heater isn't working please help.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..
The warning will be an overheating warning if its red - first places to check is the coolant level - so ensure that is at the correct level and hasnt dropped in level that would confirm a leak somewhere.if it has dropped then you need to inspect the entire coolant circuit,housings and pipe work/radiator for any leaks..the fact that no heat is entering the cabin or hot coolant flowing through the matrix maybe the result of a faulty thermostat or the actual water pump has failed and thus not circulating the coolant around the coolant circuit..ideally id say as starting point any way and considering its the cheapest option is to have the thermostat changed.normally a garage would be required to do this..at the same time they can inspect or check the water pump is actually circulating coolant or not..but as above its failry possible..provided the coolant level has dropped or totally vanaished..the thermostat maybe your problem...I do hope this helps