Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 2009 Qashqai, 2,0lt DCI (m9R engine), it will not

I have a 2009 Qashqai, 2,0lt DCI (m9R engine), it will not start.
I had a recon engine fitted 18 months ago and in Sept 2015 the EGR valve failed (new one fitted) then 2 days later the turbo failed (new one fitted) then 3 weeks later the engine cut out. It was diagnosed as a loose injector, but the garage found that 3 were loose, they were refitted but the car failed to start. a compression test showed nos 2&3 cylinders were loosing compression, the master tech has now stated that the timing is off and it may have damaged the engine. what type of damage is likely to have been caused. I am aware that to fix the timing chain requires the engine out of the car. I am trying to decide whether to get a 3rd engine or have this one fixed??
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
If the timing chain jumped while driving the vehicle, in some instances the valves will be damaged and will require cylinder head removal to repair the issue. If the vehicle jumped time while idling or when starting the engine then they are usually not damaged from it, but there is always a possibility because it is an interference engine so when timing is OFF enough the pistons can contact the valves.