Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

Please can you tell me how to Remove the Front Steering Wheel

Customer Question

Please can you tell me how to Remove the Front Steering Wheel of a 2006 Nissan Note, so that I may be able to remove the Air Bag. I need to Fix the Horn Button Pad. Horn not Sounding.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Ross replied 11 months ago.
Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.
Expert:  Ross replied 11 months ago.
To remove the air bag and steering wheel, please follow the guide below, if for any reason you run into any problems please simply reply and I will get back to you ASAP! Turn ignition off – set steering wheel straight.Remove keys from ignition (ensure keys are NOT Left in the vehicle)Disconnect the battery negative terminal – wait 10-15 mins to discharge the system before commencing work.Look to the back of the steering wheel, there are two small plastic caps covering the access hole for the release clips. Insert a screw driver into this hole, you will feel a metal retainer (spring loaded) push onto the metal retainer, and lever it to one side, it will spring to one side allowing one side of the air bag to pop out, do the same with the other side. This takes a few goes as it is very difficult to see into the hole, if you can, trying to take a look into the hole will help a lot, although it is easier said than done! Once released, gently pull the air bag forward, you will see the connection to the air bag. Carefully prize the connector out of the air bag and store in a safe place away from heat, flames or electrical charge (In the boot is usually perfectly safe)From here, you should be able to carry out the repairs necessary, if the steering wheel needs to be removed completely, remove the center nut fully, mark the splines to retain correct alignment and put the center nut back on a few threads. Give the steering wheel a tug, it will either come off with ease or will need a bit of pulling, keep the center nut on loose to prevent the steering wheel suddenly coming off.Once the wheel is free from the splines, take the center nut completely off and the wheel will then pull off. At this point carefully allow the wires to come through the wheel and mark the position of the center spiral cable. This must be installed exactly in the position it came off.Refitting of the steering wheel is largely the reverse of the removal procedure, ensure the spiral cable is in the correct position, feed the wires back through to the steering wheel, push the steering wheel firmly onto the splines ensuring it is lined up with the marks you made. Replace center nut and tighten.Connect the air bag connector, gently fit the air bag into the center, firmly push each side and it will simply click back into place. Replace the plastic caps for the release holes.Re-connect the battery negative terminal (double check the keys are NOT in the ignition or in the car) then test for correct operation.
Expert:  Ross replied 11 months ago.
Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.