Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a Nissan Qashqai+2 which I have just had cleaned.

I have a Nissan Qashqai+2 which I have just had cleaned. For some reason there is now no sound from the stereo. It is still working as I can see the radio information and my phone rang but I couldn't hear any sound (although the caller could hear me). I'm wondering if the car cleaners have disconnected something, or pressed a button.
Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 12 months ago.
Hey there, this sounds like the fuse for the amplifier may have blown. Do you have the BOSE sound system? If so, check the fuses at the interior fuse panel and the panel by the battery. If all check out fine then you need to inspect the amplifier connection behind the back seat.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Could you tell me where those would be ? I haven't got a clue. I did get one random word out of it earlier - "loud". Not sure if that helps. Other than that, no sound at all although all looks like it's working with no problems apart from no sound.
Expert:  Jake replied 12 months ago.
The fact that you got intermittent sound like that could be a couple things. Could be the amp itself is failing, or you have a speaker that is grounding out, which will cause that loud pop. Happens sometimes to speakers at the rear and the sub in the trunk
Expert:  Jake replied 12 months ago.
and the interior fuse panel is by the drivers side knee panel
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Oddly I've just driven over a speed bump and the sound has come back exactly as it was before. It still cut out a couple of times but seems ok now. I will check for loose connections tomorrow. Is the best place in the boot / behind the back seat? Would they be under the carpet or visible?Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jake replied 12 months ago.
The fact that a bump effected it, makes me think you have a speaker wire grounding out like I mentioned. Check the connections for the sub and rear speakers.
Expert:  Jake replied 12 months ago.
If you need anything else let me know, if not be sure to leave a kind rating. thanks.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry, one last question. What does grounding out mean? Am I looking for a loose connection or something else?Thanks
Expert:  Jake replied 12 months ago.
Grounding out means that where the connector presses onto the speaker. The metal tab tends to get bent and touch the metal body of the vehicle. This creates a grounding out of that wire.
Expert:  Jake replied 12 months ago.
Please don't forget to leave me a kind rating so the site credits me for my time. You can always follow up for free if needed.
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience: Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.