Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

1.5 diesel, started engine this morning, sounded fine, whilst

Customer Question

1.5 diesel, started engine this morning, sounded fine, whilst cleaning the frost of the screen the engine started to rattle (best described as a tappet rattle) drove to the shops, no misfire, ticks over ok, starts ok, no fault codes, revs ok, slight loss of power/pickup. regards Dave
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello if you've got a slight loss of power and a knocking noise then its likely to be a combustion issue So I'd start with a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and also consider replacing the fuel filter as if its only slightly clogged this too can badly effect the combustion and create the noise If OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you