Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

My son's Nissan Almera 1.5 MAnual gearbox gives a service

Hi . . My son's Nissan Almera 1.5 MAnual gearbox gives a service light error relating to the 'Parking Brake' . . ?? The car is a manual gearbox! I can reset the error, but it comes back from time to time. Is there a way of 'clamping;' down the signal of the floating signal wire . . or something . . ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there.. You mean the red parking brake light is on like it would if the handbrake was applied? Is there ABS lights on? What signal wire are you refering to the one on the brake reservior?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert . . I am an engineer, very familiar with cars, this is nothing to do with the handbrake light. . . . . . . This is the 'Service'/Engine management light on the instrument panel. I can reset it with my OBD unit. It error code states that the 'APrking brake sensor is in error . . I believe it relates to an Automatic gearbox . . But this is a manual gearbox . . . ??!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it thinks that the 'P' position of the auto gearbox is not being registered . . for obvious reasons.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Sorry just asumed in your first question is said "parking brake"? So what P code is it exactly? Just to confirm - this car hasnt been converted from auto to manual to your knowledge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it hasn't been converted . . This is all standard. The car is running fine . . .no other errors. Can't remember the actual error code . . only that it relates to the 'Park' position. I was thinking that maybe there is a signal wire at the gearbox that may be 'floating'/not connected . . and hence giving this error from time to time. I have been trying to check wiring diagrams to no avail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert . . .I have just found an item on 'You tube' about a Nissan Altima that had a 'P1706' error relating to 'Park/Neutral' error . . .and he stated this is strange for a manual gearbox . . !! . . He found that there is a connector on the gearbox that operates the reversing lights but has other connections also for neutral,etc.
I am going to investigate this area tomorrow morning. Therefore will not need any more help. BR, Anthony
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
You beat me to it..was looking for a wiring diagram..and its seems the reverse switch acts for neutral switch..so in all cases id say that would be your best bet..maybe check the reverse lights do work too..might prove either way..could be just a bad connection on that switch if its intermittent?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert . . I tried to put a 'rating' in . .but it wont let me for some reason . .. ??
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi.. sorry you should be able to rate this post now... much appreciated..