Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I recently had a problem with my 2005 Nissan x trail

Customer Question

Hello.
I recently had a problem with my 2005 Nissan x trail 2.2 diesel. The garage replaced the turbo with a reconditioned turbo. There was a slight rattle in the car when I left the garage but the garage had assured me they had checked the car and the turbo had been the problem and all was now ok. I put the car in for an NCT a few weeks later. The exhaust came apart during the NCT. I was advised to have the exhaust welded and I did that and put the car in again. The car passed. However, the tester advised me to have the turbo checked as they thought it was going to blow during the test. I told him I had had the turbo replaced and he asked me was it over a year ago. I said it was about a month or 6 weeks ago at most. I have the receipt and documentation. The rattle has since gone out of the car when I got the exhaust fixed. I am now wondering what exactly did the garage do to the car.. I did not leave on good terms with the garage as they had lied to me throughout the process and I have lost all faith in them. It was the Nissan garage, Carlow. I don't know what to do.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 8 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please keep looking for someone to answer this query. Thank you.
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.
Hey there, thanks for the question. The shop installed a re-conditioned turbo correct? was there any warranty on the part? its not uncommon to get a 12 month warranty on reconditioned parts. I am wondering if it was a factory refurbished turbo or one they repaired or even a used unit to be honest if it's having obvious issues already. let me know what information you have on the replacement part.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your answer Jake. There is a six month warranty with the part, but they said it doesn't cover labour erc, just the part. I will find out what kind of part it is and come back to you. Many Thanks.
Expert:  Jake replied 8 months ago.
Yea, I wouldn't expect a part warranty to cover labor, they never do. and these turbos are a little bit of a bear to get to, looking at about 5 hours labor from a technician. I can give you the replacement instructions, should you decide you want to complete the repair yourself.