Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Greg, here is Jurie from the Netherlands. I own a 2006 Xtrail

Customer Question

Hi Greg, here is Jurie from the Netherlands. I own a 2006 Xtrail sport 2.2,when the engine is cold, start driving after a Km. a rattling noise comes up and gets louder with more rpm, when I put the pedal complete down the noise go's over in to a Like wisling noise. when the engine is warm, I only here the noise far away. on idle, no noise. any idea? vacuumpump?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 7 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
please continue,thanks.
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
Hello Julie this sounds like it might be combustion noise / diesel rattle So its worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked I think the 'whistle' noise on full throttle is the normal sound of your turbocharger spooling up
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi Matt, the injectors are cleaned and tested, 4 times within the specs. can the vacuum pump create this ticking and rattling noise?I
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.
hello yes thats possiblebut before blaming that I'd suggest first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repairedIf the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.