Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

I have a 2007 Nissan navara auto diesel the 4wd light comes

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Nissan navara auto diesel the 4wd light comes on and no power on take off but then picks up ok when moving there is a strong burning smell from engine compartment and if I turn the engine off it wont start but after 5 to 10 minutes the engine just turns over and starts. the next day the car will start ok no 4wd light on and drives perfect however this fault has happened 3 times now with exactly the same faults one other thing that happens is the wheel display indicating 2wd or 4wd disappears on the dash.
Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

Hey there thanks for the question.

Do you know exactly what fault codes are present? or just the lights?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is a code that is P1705 'Throttle position sensor'
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you receive my email reference the code
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Hey there, sorry for the delay.

Thanks for the additional info, unfortunately the Throttle fault doesn't sound like its related to your issues. Sounds to me like the ABS system is initiating the throttle restriction and it's also throwing that code as well. Most throttle issues also include idling problems and are more consistent and not intermittent.

The fact that you get a 4wd indicator the same time you experience throttle restrictions leads me to believe there is an ABS fault of some sort. When the control systems detect a slip condition it will restrict throttle and disable the 4WD system which will cause the display to turn off.

Do you know anyone with a scan tool that can watch wheel speeds and connect with the ABS module to see if the transfer control unit or ABS unit is getting any faults?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
when I have this fault the car starts off really slowly but once going is fine but there is a burning smell under the bonnet and the car wont start until it cools down but engine temperature is fine any ideas?
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Any burning smell under the bonnet would certainly be a concern and the fact that it won't start again until it cools indicates we like have a sensor being effected by the engine temperature that loses it's reference until the engine cools.

That being the case it would more that likely be related to one of the sensors that control fuel or glow plug operation. (Crank sensor, SCV, rail pressure sensor etc)

The easiest way to go about finding out which one is at fault would be to first determine when it won't start if it's because of fuel or ignition, this would require checking for power and a ground pulse when cranking.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the engine is not hot its at normal temperature
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Correct, I never mentioned a hot engine in my response.

Simply that a sensor pickup is being distorted effecting the fuel / spark circuit until the engine cools. Not entirely uncommon by any means when it comes to crank and cam reference signals.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it just does not want to turn over but then does after a while
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Yes, exactly and since your not getting any direct fault codes relating to your issue. You really need a way to view live data on a scan tool so you can see the duty cycle on the SCV and scope the phas and pos readings.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
could it be the 3 sensors on the transfer box that is causing these faults
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Those 3 sensors are known to cause 4wd issues, including intermittent 4WD operation, but will NEVER cause a no-start condition.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why do you think the 4wd light comes on and the 4wd display disappears from the dash ?
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Could be related to the transfer case sensors, but until we fix the no start and loss of power issues it's not going to matter much.

These sensors had known issues, ideally you want to pull codes though before just swapping sensors. And check the dust boot where the prop shaft enters the transfer case. They allow water intrustion and thats what eventualy shorts the sensors.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
im somewhat confused as the 4wd light comes on and the display disappears at the same time as the loss of power on take off and burning smell occurs they all seem to be related. As I previously said the loss of power only happens on take off once going the car drives fine as if its stuck in 4th gear, The other starting fault is at the same time as well once the car is left for a few hours the 4wd light disappears the display comes back and the car is back to normal... any ideas please
Expert:  Jake replied 4 months ago.

Your not alone there, after re-reading our correspondence somethings just don't really make sense here.

Unfortunately I am not at the vehicle and can only go off your description of symptoms.

While the majority of the symptoms here could result from an ABS fault, causing the 4wd to be disabled and the throttle to be restricted, the part that doesn't add up is that the vehicle will not restart. That is the main symptom that doesn't add up to the others.