indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician
29331485

I have a 2005 Pathfinder that is blowing a lot of black

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Pathfinder that is blowing a lot of black smoke on acceleration. I have changed the injectors (as advised by local Nissan), changed air filter, checked EGR valve, and nothing has changed. I will be getting a new MAF sensor tomorrow but wanted to ask what else can be causing the smoke screen that i keep leaving behind me?
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new MAF installed, no change
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi .Do you have a turbo on this engine . Black smoke is a sign of too much fuel or too little air . Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.5 with turbo. I have changed air filter, fuel filter. New MAF fitted. EGR checked, looked good. Have blanked it off. No change. I have installed recon injectors, still no change!
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Pull the hose off the turbo is it full with oil . Any malfunction codes, is the check engine light ON when the engine is running Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No oil. No warning lights.
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Check injection timing .Has any work been done lately . Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No work that I am aware of. I have only had the vehicle for a few weeks though. I am going to Nissan tomorrow to have the injectors that I installed coded to the CPU. See if that makes a difference!!
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
You did not have the new injector coded when you fitted them ?? This has to be done otherwise in most cases would not run .and if it did very badly . Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It ran fine. Apparently, a recon engine was fitted in 2013 and I don't think that the injectors were coded then either!
All injectors are now coded and I need to give it a good run to see if the smoke is gone.
Will let you know.
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Okay sounds good . Rgds Greg.