Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

My car is a Nissan X-Trail 2.2 turbo diesel registered in

My car is a Nissan X-Trail 2.2 turbo diesel registered in 2005. My turbo blew and my local garage fitted a reconditioned turbo then discovered the car wouldn't start. They then did a compression test and discovered there was no compression in 2 cylinders. I asked why the compression test was no carried out in the initial diagnostics and was told that you have to have a working turbo to do this test. Is this true ???
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please sent me your answer by email to -- ***************
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

No its not true - there's no reason why they couldnt do a compression test or even a leak down test on the engine with a damaged turbo,a compression test only tests the condition and compression of each cylinder.so in theory all they do is stick a compression tester into either the diesel injector oriface or the glow plug oriface if either is removed..crank the engine over and see what readings they have....a turbo is only there as an exhaust gas run air compressor to force air into the engine