Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Wipers will not switch off on the control, have to switch

Customer Question

wipers will not switch off on the control, have to switch off the ignition to switch off.
Also rear wipers will not operate on the control.
Have checked obvious fuses.Model diesel 2004
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

hey there, thanks for the question.

Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

the switch does function though? as in changing wiper speeds?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
only one speed mid speed
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

does the washer function work?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry washer jets work
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

Then you have a short at the washer motor. It's sending a signal to have the wipers run like when you use the wash function.

This is why the switch is not working and why its at mid speed just like your washing the windshield.

Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

as long as your model does not recieve the ground from the washer harness, you could simply unplug the washer motor in the meantime and it should operate normally minus the washer until you can replace it.

Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

unplug the washer motor like i said previously.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
will try that, can't rate you or agree to payment til I check your advice.
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

absolutely, i'll be here when you return.

thanks.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Disconnected the washer motor and the fault is still there. Had a check in the workshop manual in a car shop and it seems like I should be changing the electronic control module for the wiper functions.Thought by paying for your service I could bypass the messing around, am in the motor trade but not nissan knowledgeable.
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.
Well, although you didn't mention the exact model just that's it's an 04 Nissan, I am not sure what your talking about "electronic control module for wiper functions".
Nissans don't use any "wiper module" of any kind they are fused and relayed in the IPDM and the switch signals the BCM which then operates the relay in the IPDM.
My advice wasn't about "messing around" it was about going off experience from the symptoms you have me and keeping you from throwing unnecessary parts at it.