Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Pathfinder-intelligent key will only work approximately 10%

Customer Question

pathfinder-intelligent key will only work approximately 10% of time to start, light stays red
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

When you use the intelligent key are you still getting the accessory functions like radio etc? or are you getting no response from pressing teh start button?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All lights come on the dash but light for intelligent key stays red (fails to turn green and will not allow the starter switch to rotate) Sometimes if I press the the "open door button" on the key fob it will turn green and allow normal start. I have also noticed that the outside buttons on the doors/rear boot do not work when I try to use them in its presence. More recently used the second key fob with no problems.
John.
Expert:  Jake replied 10 months ago.

Then it's a problem with the key recognition and that could be from the key fob itself.

The fact that the second FOB works only confirms that.

More than likely since the other FOB works sometimes, it did not lose its registration, but instead the FOB itself is bad preventing proximity recognition. Since you already changed the key battery, that FOB will likely need replaced, but the dealer can use the remote checker to verify prior to charging you for a new unit.