Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a loose wire that looks as if it should go to the

Customer Question

i have a loose wire that looks as if it should go to the alternator.it is black insulated and appears to be an earth.the alternator is not charging the battery
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i don't mind waiting for the right answer
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Hey there, thanks for the question.Make sure the ground wire on the rear of the alternator is grounded to the chassis.Additionally, you didn't mention anything about the fusible link blowing so I assume the insulator is between the lead wire.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Let me know how you wish to proceed, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NEITHER OF THESE SUGGESTIONS ANSWER MY QUESTION,WHICH WAS WHERE DOES THE BLACK WIRE CONNECT TO.THE WIRES COME TO THE ALTERNATOR AND CONNECT TO THE REAR OF THE ALTERNATOR WITH A RUBBER COVER OVER THEM.A THIN BLACK WIRE COMES OUT FROM THE COVER AND IS JUST LOOSE.IT OBVIOUSLY HAD A SPADE CONNECTOR ON THE END WHICH HAS SNAPPED OFF.I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THAT WIRE SHOULD GO.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I HAVE ALREADY PAID 26 POUNDS SO I'M NOT PAYING ANOTHER 15.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Where you connect the ground is irrelevant for functionality as the engine and chassis are both grounds if using them.If you just really want to find the original location then check above the coolant hose at intake manifold as that was a common spot on the earlier nissans.Some models follow the harness bundle then terminate on the engine, tracing the bundle till wire ends is an easy way to locate those.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Just ignore the phone call requests the site since those automatically
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am only assuming that it is an earth wire since it is black insulated.I don't want to connect it to earth if it isn't
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
If it's a black wire connected to the alternator with a nut it's a ground wire. Take a picture for me if you want piece of mind.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've been out to the car to check on your last response and the wire wont reach to the area you are suggesting.It's only about 5 or 6 inches long and about the only thing it will reach to is the alternator.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** misunderstood you. What is the wire connected too? I thought it was connected to the back of the alternator? And you were needing to k ow where it terminates
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is an earth wire from the nut to the rear of the alternator.this is fine but there is another thin black wire coming from the nut but going nowhere,this is the wire i am worried about.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 months ago.

The alternator itself should have 4 wires and only 1 of them solid black. Some have a black with red stripe for the charge wire and a solid black for the ground though.

essentially you have the charge wire = b terminal

You have the return = S terminal

You have the warning lamp wire = L terminal

You have the ground = E terminal.