Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

I have a 2017 reg Nissan Note 1.2, 3 cylinder engine. The

I have a 2017 reg Nissan Note 1.2, 3 cylinder engine. The owner's handbook suggests a wide range of suitable oil viscosities for given temperature ranges (probably the SAE 10W-40 is most suitable). I have been sold Castrol Magnatec SAE 5W-30 for topping up. Is that a suitable type?I note that the Castrol is API rated SL, but the API data suggests that SL rating was obsolete in 2004. It should now be API SN. Please will you comment on this?Many thanks
Ian.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

Yes that would be suitable..however based on the car still under dealer warranty..it would of been suggested in my opinion to go directly to the dealer and buy the oil from them...but 5w30 will be fine for topping up...the SN rating is based on provide improved high temperature deposit protection around the internal parts
stringent sludge control,higher protection for internal seals..so basically adds better fuel economy too..the SL rating is as you already know for older engines..but it should have any adverse effect on the current engine if its for topping up..hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

No problem..glad to help.... Also If you could leave a rating for me.it would be much appreciated..thank you..