Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years
13210289

Cold start problem - fires fine but takes about 5 or 6

Hi Cold start problem - fires fine but takes about 5 or 6 attempts before I can pulll away - all fine once warm.
Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: everythgin is as it should be
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 60 plate D40
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: took it to Nissan - they "suggested" it might be timing chain
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Hi..there..

Do you hear any kind of rattling when the engine fires up or when its idling running warm?

Any lights coming up on the dash since this problem occurred?

How do you mean 5-6 attempts before pulling away - does the engine cut out?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Robert
Thanks for yrou reply.
No noises and no lights.
Engine cuts out repeatedly until its warm enough to pull away.
Rgds
Paul
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Ok..

Normally chains on them do cause a bit of noise at start up or during warm up faze as the oil thins out if the chains on its way out..nine times out of ten its the guides that wear causing the chain to slap,suggesting its the timing chain without actually checking to see if any slack is occuring..by lifting the rocker cover off or even checking the cam,crank corallation wave forms on a scope to see if the timing is slightly out based on crank,cam timing positions.other than that then its just an expensive guess... what about the EGR valve and aswell as checking fuel pressure values,id say that would be top of the list on this,maybe a bad fuel pressure sensor..a bad fuel filter..i know filters do have to be changed out every service ideally on them..so that could worth looking into..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the advice Robert.
Nissan want a lot of money to investigate if it is the chain, without mentioning anything else. Its always been to nissan but I would rather get an independant locally to me (maidstone, kent) to check what you suggest. Any recommendations?
Paul
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

Yeah well dealers will always be the most expensive route...I cant really say on any recommendations as Kent isnt my area..but i can advise the best site to check up on reputable garges would be on this Link i give below..

Good Garage Scheme

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Robert
There isn't anyone that close to me but will search
Appreciate your help thank you.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 month ago.

No problem...Paul... if you could leave a rating too it would much appreciated.thank you