Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

The handbrake warning light comes on when driving and the

Customer Question

the handbrake warning light comes on when driving and the ABS warning and OFF light have been on in the morning when it was been cold.
Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: the ABS lights and ABS off light
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?
Customer: 2011 NG11 HTD
Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything as yet. I have noticed it over the last few days and wanted advise , comments on the possible problem
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the handbrake warning lights comes on also
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 15 days ago.

the handbrake light will also come on if there's a low brake fluid level or a fault with the level switch on the reservoir cap

so check the fluid level as the 1st step, and if thats OK then remove the cap with its sensor and clean it out with brake cleaner and check the wiring for any damage

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What about the warning lights that come up on the dashboard for the ABS and ABS off?
Expert:  Matt replied 12 days ago.

OK If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 95% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Expert:  Matt replied 7 days ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you