Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Guy's! We work in a bodyshop and have a 65 regarding pulsar

Customer Question

Hi guy's! We work in a bodyshop and have a 65 regarding pulsar in for repair having a new steering rack and upon fitting and carrying out a geometry check have noticed that there is 10 threads on the nearside steering arm and only six on the offside though the lock to lock on the steering wheel is even...this seems odd to me...any ideas? Strangely enough the old rack had 9 threads on the nearside and 6 on the offside. Many thanks Simon Langridge
Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?
Customer: Drives fine...no pulling or anything like that.
Assistant: Are you fixing your Pulsar yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yeah we are fixing it as an insurance job for a customer...I'm gonna try putting the same amount of threads each side, straighten the wheels then disconnect the rack at the bottom of the column and then straighten the steering wheel and reconnect again and carry out another geometry check...have you come across this at all on pulsars?
Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No nothing else thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.
Hey there, it’s not entirely uncommon when there have been alignments over the years. We see people making alignments (geometry checks) without inspecting suspension first and you see these results.
You have the right idea though for resetting the zero point.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.
If you need further assistance just let me know and I’ll be happy to help.I will leave the question open for 7 days even after rating in case you have follow up concerns.Thanks.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 month ago.
Hey there, checking back to see if you made any progress.Thanks