Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

Im pregnant and due june 19th 2013 Did I conceive in august

Customer Question

I'm pregnant and due june 19th 2013

Did I conceive in august 2012

Last period september 6th 2012
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name isXXXXX and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Conception was around September 26th. If there was an ultrasound done anytime from the end of October through early December, the error rate would be a windown from about September 23rd through September 29th.

If this case there would be ZERO chance that conception was in August.

Even if an ultrasound was done later, no until later in December there is still ZERO chance that the pregnancy was conceived during August. This is because the error rate would still be fraom about September 18th through October 3rd.

If there has not been an ultrasound done, get one done as soon as possible to confirm the due date. It is absolutely necessary for you to confirm the due date by ultrasound. The earlier in the pregnancy this is done, the better. The further along in the pregnancy an ultrasound is done, the wider the rror rate. This increases such that towards the end of pregnancy, the error rate may cause a window of 4 weeks. Obviously the sooner you settle this question, the better for your peace of mind.

So I hope this is reassuring to you. Again I repeat: There is ZERO chance that this pregnancy was conceived during August.

Please REPLY if I can clarify anything or provide more details. I want to be sure you have the information that you find most helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had an ultrasound on October 28th stating I was 6 weeks 3 days pregnant and defiantly due june 19th so this baby was not conceived in august?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
Absolutely NOT. There is no possible way. Rest assured of that. There is ZERO chance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even with the ultrasound saying I was 6 weeks 3 days pregnant on the 28th October ?

So conception was not even possible around September 10th

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.

Yes. The reason for the 6 weeks 3 days is that we automatically add 2 weeks to the actually age of the pregnancy. We count from the first day of the last period. Because of this, when doctors talk about gestational age, a woman who is 6 weeks 3 days "gestational age" is actually only 4 weeks 3 days pregnant. It's confusing. A woman is automatically 2 weeks pregnant at the time the pregnancy was conceived. The reason for this confusing way doctors talk is that before the time of ultrasounds, the only way a doctor could figure out an estimate of how far along a woman is from the day of her last period.

I hope that is clear. So to repeat, a woman who has sex one day and gets pregnant that day is "2 weeks gestational age" according to doctor talk.

So your ultrasound showing 6 weeks 3 days gestational means you conceived 4 weeks and 3 days earlier. The error rate in ultrasound at this stage of pregnancy is about 3 days in either direction. SO the conception was anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 weeks and 6 days before the day of the ultrasound.

Yes that is correct. Even a pregnancy from September 10th isn't possible with the information you've provided. It simply is not possible. Ultrasound technology is very reliable at this early stage of pregnancy. It would not be possible for the technician to make an error that large unless they were incompetent.

It may be reassuring to get one more ultrasound to confirm again if you find yourself still worrying about it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If my baby is overdue lets say 42 weeks will it have been an August conception then?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.

No. The early ultrasound confirms the due date and fixes the conception date. If you go overdue, it will be because some pregnancies go overdue. This doesn't change when the pregnancy was conceived. All babies grow the same rate for the first 12 weeks of pregnancy (with extreme exceptions, starvation, heavy drug use, etc.). This is why ultrasounds are so accurate at this time. Once past the first trimester (12 weeks gestational age), influences such as genetics, nutrition, etc begin to influence the rate of growth. Measurements of the baby at between 6 and 10 weeks are the most accurate way of figuring out the conception date unless there is only one possible known conception date. For example with fertility treatments or if a woman only had sex on one day.

Anything else I can clarify? I hope you feel more convinced at this point. If you are still worried, get another ultrasound done to confirm the first one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it took me 6 months to get pregnant with my firsthand then 23 months with second (same partner) is this normal I had a section 1st time
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
The first time was in the normal range. The second time was longer than average. But it depends on how often you were having sex. If having sex 2-3 times weekly, the second time took longer than average. One possibility is that there was some scar tissue around the tubes from the c-section that caused it to take longer the second time. Or just having sex less often can make it take longer such as 23 months.

Anything else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I was having sex around 2-3 times a weeks for my second

I have placenta previa now with this pregnancy
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
So it took longer than average. In this case we would use the medical term "secondary infertility". We usually start investiagation into possible causes after 1 year of trying with having sex 2-3 times weekly. Investigation would include:

1. thyroid and prolactin level
2. semen analysis
3. hysterosalpingogram (to check if the fallopian tubes are open)
4. then also depending on age, there could be some additional hormonal testing to check on the quality and number of eggs left in the ovary

I hope this stuff happening now turns out to be a healthy pregnancy for you. But if it's not, evaluation would usually be started if you wanted it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So it can be normal
To take abit longer to conceive second child

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes it can. But we do usually recommend investigation if wanted if a 1 year has gone by and there has been sex 2-3x weekly. There may be a treatable cause of it taking longer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did get blood tests and I had hormone imbalance so maybe that was the problem it took longer

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that's possible. Do you know what the imbalance was?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had slight high prolactain and low estrogen
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, a high prolactin will do it. That's why it's one of the tests we get early. Usually we place a woman on a medication to lower the prolactin level. High prolactin level will prevent ovulation from occuring regularly. This can even happen although a woman continues to have regular periods. But more often the periods will get irregular if the cause of the difficulty getting pregnant is caused by a high prolactin level. Sometimes the prolactin will go back to normal without treatment. prolactin level can be falsely elevated though if it was drawn at the wrong time of day. The level changes throughout the day. Most reliable results will be obtained if the blood is drawn mid-morning. I usually have my patients get their drawn around 10AM.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My prolactain level was 220 on cd3 around 9.45 am blood drawn
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
I wonder what units are used. It's possible different units are used in the United States. In the United States the units used are ng/ml or mg/l. The prolactin level does go up in pregnancy although it wouldn't do that by conception day 3. Is that what you mean by cd3?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I mean cd3 as in third day from bleeding started (period)

Would low estrogen cause
Problems also
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
Ah, ok. In any case, you find yourself pregnant now. But if the level was that high and the units being used are the same as used in the United States, further investigation would be started. If the doctors didn't recommend further testing in response to a result of 220, they must be using different units. Using United States units, 220 would be considered VERY high.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is low estrogen a problem
Also

I panick a lot am sorry
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
It can be a sign that ovulation is not occuring. It's usually caused by low levels of another hormone called FSH. In cases where prolactin level is elevated, there can be a suppression in FSH hormone. Without FSH, the ovary doesn't get the signal to produce an egg follicle. Without an egg follicle, estrogen will be low. So a low estrogen level is a result of lack of signal from the gland in the brain that produces FSH. The most common causes for lack of signal from the brain gland that produces FSH are elevated prolactin, thyroid disorders, eating disorders, excessive exercise and stress.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was really stressed while trying to get pregnant with number two and lost weight went from 7 stone to 6 stone 2lbs and my periods when I can on them lasted 8-11 days heavy also
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
So there were a few things going on that could have contributed. But I'm glad that you're doing well now. I hope all this information has been reassuring and helpful for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Day 3 of my period my fsh level was 6.8 is that normal they didn't explain to me
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.

Yes that is a normal level. Estrogen level can be low despite a normal FSH in situations where the ovary just doesn't respond well to the signal or if a woman is thin.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
Your doctors were more likely looking for an elevated FSH that can be the sign of failing ovaries. The FSH you had is reassuring that the problem is not with the ovaries themselves.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So my weight could have been the issus also
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that can contribute. But I'm glad that you now find yourself pregnant and have had a pregnancy to confirm that so far so good....
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. I'm wondering if you have any further questions or need clarification. I'm hoping that you found our conversation the other day helpful. Please let me know if I can do anything more.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.