Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 yrs experience, awarding winning educator
54412793

For the past few days I have been having lower back pain and

Customer Question

For the past few days I have been having lower back pain and abdominal pain, is it possible that I could have a urine infection? I have been treating myself for vaginal thrush so I'm not sure.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 4 years ago.

Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is Dr. C. and I'll be providing your medical information today.

Dr. C. :

Yes it is possible for an untreated UTI to cause lower back pain and abdominal pain. Drinking a lot of water and taking cranberry extract may flush a bacterial infection our of the urinary tract.

Dr. C. :

But it's also possible that there is a bladder infection that requires antibiotics or another cause of the pain. For example, it there is a possibility of pregnancy, a home urine pregnancy test should be taken. Some women will have complcations from pregnancy even without seeming to skip any periods.

Dr. C. :

If the pregnancy test is positive and the above measures don't take care of, beeing evaluated for possible ectopic pregnancy would be important.

Dr. C. :

I hope it's a simple UTI that responds to water and cranberry extract.

Dr. C. :

Please REPLY if I can clarify anything further. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information possible.