Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am on day 16 of taking Microgynon 30 for first time, using

Customer Question

Hi I am on day 16 of taking Microgynon 30 for first time, using it to try control my periods and make them not as painful and heavy. However for the past 3 days at night ive had intense period pain , and like pressure vagina area . Why is this and what can i do as its stopping me sleeping.
Ive also had flu , and still coughing n recovering from that but it defentiately feels like period pain rather than usual tummy pain
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Have your periods been irregular before starting the Microgynon? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

It's hard to be sure why you're having the intense period pain, but I suspect that it's because your uterus is trying to have a period but having a difficult time because of the pill. I suspect that your uterine lining is probably extra thick, which may also be what has caused the heavy periods before this. If so, that would be due to hormonal changes, which will resolve over time from the Microgynon. If you don't need the pill for birth control now, I would suggest stopping the Microgynon for about 5 days to let the period come. This would allow the thick lining to clean out. Then I'd probably start over with a new pack. If your uterine lining is thick, the period that comes could be somewhat heavy. As you keep taking the pill, the periods will each get lighter. Other possible causes of the pelvic pain would be from an STD (if that's possible), or perhaps related to the flu or some other intestinal problem.