Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

hi, im 24 had my periods started when i was 9, been regular

Customer Question

hi, im 24 had my periods started when i was 9, been regular since about 14 same time every month, i have had 1 child 3 years ago, a couple of months ago while on my period i wiped my vigina after going to the toilet and it looked like a skin pouch type thing came away, i was a bit worried but never did anything about it now i have my period this month and its nothing but brown blood and been on for 12 days now???? any help/ advice would be greatly appriciated
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes the uterine lining will come out almost intact and can look like a skin pouch. That would generally happen during a period or soon after. When there is a pregnancy and miscarriage, the sac can come out, but since you apparently haven't missed a period or had symptoms of miscarriage, this is quite unlikely. In any case, I doubt that the skin pouch thing was anything to worry about.

The brown spotting is probably not related. When a period comes on very light and goes on for 12 days, the most likely reason is that you didin't ovulate since your last period. That causes some build up of the uterine lining, and can result in spotting and mild bleeding for a prolonged period. it may stop on its own, but it's probably best to see your doctor for evaluation. If the cause is what I suspect, then some progesterone pills will cause it to resolve. A pregnancy and threatened miscarriage would be another cause for prolonged spotting, but since you didn't miss a period, that's less likely. When you see your doctor, I would mention that skin pouch so a check can be make to be sure there is nothing similar still inside. I hope that's helpful.